Dashcam is one of the necessary gadget for your car. As it can record what happen while you drive and may use as an evidence when something unexpected happen.
Dashcam in the market always use power source from car’s cigarette lighter socket. But in Fiesta, cigarette lighter always supply the power even you didn’t turn your car on. That make Fiesta owner have to pull out the power connector all the time when leave the car and risk of run out of battery if forgotten.
So, this DIY will show you how to wire the cable to make the dashcam turn on and off with your car. And don’t have to pull the power connector anymore.
The principle is to change to power source of the dashcam from the original cigarette lighter socket to the fuse the have power when turn your car on.
Things you need
1. Fuse tap set. (Bought from here : https://www.facebook.com/FordFiestaShop/)
2. Cable Tie (Optional)
Or you can make it yourself by use of :
1. Fuse Tap for low profile fuse. Buy Here: Link
2. Cigarette Lighter Socket. Buy Here : Link
3. 10 Amp low profile fuse. Buy Here : Link
4. Wire Connector. Buy Here : Link
Wire them together like in the picture below. (Red wire of cigarette lighter to fuse tap, black wire of cigarette lighter to wire connector)
1. After you finish with the fuse tap set now come to your car. Start by attach dashcam at position you want.
2. Pull out the door seal to make wiring more easy by pull it out straight.
3. Wire the cam’s cable into your roof and insert them into the A pillar. (Red line below)
4. Like this.
5. Take everything out from the front storage because you have to remove the storage from its place. To remove it you have to push both side together until the rubber fall-off.
When you pull it off, you will see the inside like this.
6. Continue wiring the cable from A pillar. You have to use a hole at the red arrow to wire the cable inside the car behind the storage.
7. Now the cam’s cable wait inside. Let it be here.
8. Come to the fuse tap and attach the 10 amp fuse to the fuse tap like this.
9. Now we will connect the black wire of cigarette lighter to the car’s ground. Put it inside, there is a hole that let the wire down to the leg room.
10. Come to leg room under the front storage that we removed it from step 5. And find for this bolt.
11. Unscrew the bolt, attach the connector of black wire and rescrew the bolt tightly.
12. Now come at behind of front storage, there’s a fuse panel. Pull out this fuse. (It’s car’s mileage front panel fuse which will have power when you turn on your car.) (You should check your car’s manual if they are the same position of mine.)
13. Attach the removed fuse to the fuse tap.
14. Attach the fuse tap to replace the removed fuse. After you did this, the circuit were integrated.
15. Connect your dashcam’s plug to the cigarette lighter.
16. Put the cigarette lighter to the position you want. You should keep it in the place that’s not block the way of the front storage. I put it in the slot between the console and car body.
Everything done, you should now test it and it should now work.